The Litany Against Fear

I must not fear.
Fear is the mind-killer.
Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
Where the fear has gone there will be nothing.
Only I will remain.

"The Litany Against Fear" from Dune, Frank Herbert

16 July 2011

Dune Group Read, Round 1, Answers




1. What, if any, preconceived ideas did you have before you started reading Dune and how has the first section measured up to those preconceptions?

I have read the six prequels so I was able to understand every detail that was presented in Dune. However, I felt uneasy while reading the book because I was expecting a continuation of what the prequel authors have wrote. I found out that Dune was written better and It is far complex and exciting than the prequels. The characters portray strong emotions and I love how Frank was able to cause conflict among the protagonists. A jump from one conflict to another which was portrayed in the chapter where Lady Jessica was tied up was quite stirring."wheels within wheels within wheels"

I also found discrepancies with the prequels and Dune. First, Piter de Vries' interest in Lady Jessica. In the book, House: Corrino, Piter died and was replaced by a ghola. So I assume that the Piter in Dune is a ghola. How then is it possible for Piter to like the same person? I believe that there is a possibility but I find this subplot of the prequel unpleasant. A blunder of the son, I guess.

Second, Gurney and Liet. In the prequel when Liet joined Dominic Vernius in his voyage to Salusa Secundus he met Gurney. But in Dune, they do not know each other. Probably, another blunder. 

(Alternate Question for those who’ve read the book: Did you see anything in this first section of the book that either you hadn’t seen before or that you had forgotten about, anything that stood out to you?

2. What did you think about the plot device of the early revelation that Yueh was to be the traitor?

It kept me waiting for Yueh to strike! I even thought that the hunter seeker was planted and controlled by the Suk doctor. The conversation of Yueh and Jessica when they first arrived on Arrakis, though a pretty normal conversation, became suspenseful because I was waiting for Yueh to spill  the beans!

3. What was your favorite part of this first section? Which character(s) do you find most interesting and why?

My favorite part of this section is the exchange of opinions during dinner. I love this part because Frank was able to portray a lot of characters here. It is amazing how an author can make the reader understand the emotions and motives of his characters during a heated discussion. Frank was able to do this notwithstanding the number of characters in the dining table.

4. Did the revelation about the Harkonnen surprise you?

Yes. It surprised me. Jessica had just finished arguing with the mentat so I was expecting a much steady situation for the Atreides.But the Harkonnens are so sly and unpredictable! (I wouldn't want them to be my neighbors. LOL)

5. Finally, please share some overall thoughts on this first section of the book. Are you finding it difficult to follow? Easy to understand? Engaging? Boring? Just share what you are thinking thus far.

It is easy to understand because of the prequels but I am still adapting to Frank's way of writing. I have a feeling that I will discover more errors by the son and his co-author as I go along.

No comments:

Post a Comment