The Litany Against Fear

I must not fear.
Fear is the mind-killer.
Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
Where the fear has gone there will be nothing.
Only I will remain.

"The Litany Against Fear" from Dune, Frank Herbert

15 July 2011

Stainless Steel Droppings: Dune Group Read Round 1 Questions



I had just joined a Dune Group Read (care of Stainless Steel Droppings) and I am trying to catch-up with the group. Here are the first questions I need to answer after I finish reading the first one-third of the book.

1. What, if any, preconceived ideas did you have before you started reading Dune and how has the first section measured up to those preconceptions?

(Alternate Question for those who’ve read the book: Did you see anything in this first section of the book that either you hadn’t seen before or that you had forgotten about, anything that stood out to you?

2. What did you think about the plot device of the early revelation that Yueh was to be the traitor?

3. What was your favorite part of this first section? Which character(s) do you find most interesting and why?

4. Did the revelation about the Harkonnen surprise you?

5. Finally, please share some overall thoughts on this first section of the book. Are you finding it difficult to follow? Easy to understand? Engaging? Boring? Just share what you are thinking thus far.

No comments:

Post a Comment